Thursday, May 17, 2007

I skipped the gym

because I came home from work and moved furniture and cleaned for a couple of hours. I got my weight lifting in, thankyouverymuch. Tomorrow I really will go to the gym, but it poured tonight and I just didn't feel like going out in the rain. I'm shifting the too much stuff in my bedroom into the adjacent room formerly known as the Future Studio. Right now it would be better as the bedroom annex, and I can make it look attractive while making the real bedroom less crowded and easier to paint. So I moved two bookcases, many books, and a tall chest of drawers, and cleaned the floors and dusted, and that was just the first stage. I will enlist girl's aid in moving the elliptical machine (still used when the gym visit is impractical) and then I will have the first walls cleared for the start of Painting. I can do it in stages, which is better than not getting it done at all.

I am inspired to redecorate my bedroom - it's so drab, I have always hated the color on the walls, I'm not that crazy about the carpet. in addition to paint I need new nightstands, new lamps, and a general rearranging and decluttering spree. Yes, I'm fixing it up for sale, but I also want an environment I can enjoy NOW. I'd love to replace the carpet, but that's not in the budget at this time. But paint and new bedding and new nightstands are do-able. And lamps. I think I'll shop this weekend. And I'm still thinking of an afghan, but so far all of my ideas have died on the drawing board.

Here's the decency of my employer - and I'm not saying that in a snarky way, I mean they are really decent - we didn't make much profit last quarter, but today even *I* received a wee little quarterly profit-sharing check. It was wee, I could blow it at the mall in an hour or two, and I just may. But I was surprised and touched, because I wasn't even THERE for almost the entire quarter and I did not expect to get anything, as profit-sharing is discretionary. But they still threw me a few bucks, and I see paint, bedding, and maybe lamps in my future. Target has those lovely soft bamboo sheets in a cheery green, and I almost bought them last weekend, but stopped myself because of that haven't had a paycheck since mid-March issue. I will be picking paint and buying sheets this weekend, because that's the kind of wild party girl I am.

6 comments:

Amie said...

Party on, girlfriend!

That's wonderful you got a bonus - so they must not be the devil incarnate yet (that happens when they buy radio stations.)

My Christmas bonus one year at a radio station was a silver dollar. It was the year of Y2K, and they looked pleased with themselves for giving us all one - had a little party, and a presentation we had to march up and have it handed to us and everything. Because, you know, if the world banks collapsed and civilization crumbled, that silver dollar was going to save our lives, and we'd owe our loyal employer.

Sometimes I wish I were making these radio stories up....

Catherine said...

LOL re the silver dollar - one law firm in my past gave movie passes. My response was, "Gollee, PAW! Put yer teeth in and your shoes on, we're goin' to them movin' pitchers!" Their "year-end bonus" to staff was $117 after taxes. One of the secretaries actually sent it back to the managing partner with a note, "Apparently times are tough, you must need this more than I do." In contrast, this quarter's profit sharing was delivered with an apology because it was so small compared to past quarters, but it was way more than the $117 that used to be it for the year. So yeah, they're decent folks. I'll take my few hundred bucks and go to Home Depot and Target this weekend and buy paint and sheets, and be happy. And maybe L'Occitane, because Crazy Aunt Purl has intrigued me with this talk of Almond Shower Oil - Almond is one of my favorite scents.

SoapDoc said...

LOL, I think the goal may just have been that bedroom re-do, no?

Catherine said...

Buying paint and new sheets doesn't strike me as the fulfillment of a long-term goal I had given up on, so no.

SoapDoc said...

sorry, didn't mean to make you angry, Catherine, I will myob from now on.

Catherine said...

Angry? Huh??